Monday, August 28, 2006

New Life Sooooooooooon

Thought I'd treat you to a cute (old) picture of Derek & me:)

Dear all (don't know why I write all as I am quite sure there's only 2 of you;)),

I've started packing my stuff... There is quite a lot of it... I've taken all the pictures from the walls, so my room now looks like I've just moved in. How on EARTH is all my stuff going to fit in a Fiesta...? Fingers crossed! I can't wait:).

I was hoping that I could tell you that I spent the past weekend partying, but I didn't... Instead I slept, cleaned, washed, packed. No one had time to party with me apparently:'(. Was really disappointed, but managed not to get angry with anyone. I did meet up with my cousin Ivy and her boyfriend Maurice on Saturday, which was great! They had been on a road-trip through Scotland and were in Glasgow for a day and night. We went for dinner at Cottiers, which was ok, though the food was slightly disappointing. I actually wanted to go to The Bothy or Stravaigin 2, but both, and another 4 restaurants, were fully booked...

Apart from that I did nothing much. I started in Women in Love by DH Lawrence, and that was about it really.

Tonight it's my last book club meeting. We read Trumpet by Jackie Kay, which I highly recommend to everybody. It is about a black trumpet player from Glasgow, Joss Moody, who, after his death, turns out to be a woman. He lived like a man, and his adopted son thought all this time that he was a man, as did everybody else (apart from his wife). The book is about how his son, wife, close friends and also the authorities deal with the news. This might sound like a very odd plot, that could potentially be very controversial, but it's not. What the book is really about is love, and that in the face of love all the above doesn't matter. The book doesn't attempt to explain why Joss lived like a man; the book and the characters in the book, simply move to accept it. I loved the voices in the book, the way it made the story seem totally believable, and its compassion. I miss it since I finished:'(. Give it a go: it will touch you.

Hope you're all well. I will keep you updated on my adventures in Cambridge:)!

Love,

No comments: